06 May 2012

Guest post: This is How I Serve My Country

One of our donors, Becca Bryan of FLorida, asked that I share these thoughts about why she supports our wounded warriors. I think she hits the nail on the head with the last paragraph - it's all about letting our warriors know that people care.


This is How I Serve My Country
By Becca Bryan, SA Germany donor

I am often asked why I donate to Soldiers’ Angels Germany. I have not served in the military. I know a few people who are serving or are veterans of the military. For me, it is a strong desire to give back to those who are injured while on deployment. The simple comforts are home can be hard to find in a foreign country.

I cannot imagine being wounded on the front lines and send to LRMC with the clothes (or not) on my back. What would I wear? Where can I get some things that would make me feel more comfortable? Who can tell me where I can find these things? How long will I be here? But I do not have any underwear! I need to shave. I can’t wear a hospital gown on the flight home. What will I wear? My family is back home and can’t get here to bring me just a few things. Is there anyone here who can help me?

Those thoughts run through my mind when I shop for our wounded troops. It is the reason why I go a little overboard at the stores. It is the reason I keep smiling as I stack men’s boxer briefs in my cart, make a second trip for a pile t-shirts and basketball shorts and a third trip to fill a hand basket with Q-tips and razors.

Often, I hear funny and a few nice comments about the items in my cart and basket. Below are a few to hopefully put a smile on some faces:
- “You sure must have some hairy legs.” (I had a hand basket full of men’s razors)
- “That must be some vacation you’re going on!” (Had another hand basket full of travel size Q-Tips)
- “Why do you have so many t-shirts and now 5 pairs of basketball shorts” (asked by a guy in the men’s dept. He was impressed with my sending them wounded troops)
- “Why do you feel you have to supply them with all that stuff?” (I can put myself a wounded troop’s shoes better than this commenter)

You see, I do it because I want these incredibly brave men and women to know that someone in Florida thought about them. It is a sense of duty, actually. I wonder why more Americans don’t have the same sense of duty.

Our thanks to Becca and all who care about those who have sacrificed so much for all of us.

No comments: