25 October 2008

Angels watching over my boy

Jeremy at Landstuhl hospital with Soldiers' Angel and nurse CDR Chris Kirstein-Blackburn, USN.


Dear Soldiers’ Angels,

My son was seriously injured on May 31st, 2008 by an IED in Afghanistan. He called us at 2am on June 1st. Going back to sleep of course was not to be so I logged onto my computer to send out prayer requests for him.

I also emailed SA and asked them to contact his adopted Angel so she would not be sending him packages and mail. Patti [founder of SA] immediately sent me a reply and forwarded my email to MaryAnn in Germany.

By 9am that morning I not only received an email from MaryAnn but she called me from Germany! She provided me with general information about the medevac process, what to expect in terms of timing, etc. What a wonderful phone call!

The most awesome thing she did though was to contact Chris of the SA Germany team and asked her to visit Jeremy! Chris visited him more than once, took him a backpack filled with much needed supplies, presented him with a beautiful Quilt of Valor AND took pictures of him! My heart still leaps when I look at the pictures she emailed me. It was so comforting getting to see him and to know that Angels in Germany were watching over my boy!

Shortly after our arrival at the hospital in Ft. Gordon, GA, Soldiers' Angel Carla came to check on us. Jeremy's room was sweltering hot so she went out and bought a fan, among other things. That fan was used 24-7 for months! She was so cute and sweet and really brightened up our day! She had a long drive to get to us but we really appreciated her visit. My guys would have loved it if she could have visited daily. :-)

Later, during one of my darkest moments, MaryAnn put me in touch with yet another Angel named Carren whose husband had been wounded in Iraq. What a sweetheart! She talked to me for hours and I felt so good afterwards. She recommended websites and books to read. I can't tell you how much it helped to speak with someone who has been through all this.

Jeremy continues his recovery at Ft. Gordon and has had a total of 17 surgeries on his right leg. Today he called to tell me that he had walked all day without his crutches! He is doing so well that he will soon transition to an outpatient.

Soldiers’ Angels has been such a huge blessing to Jeremy and to us. Words cannot express our love and gratitude for these amazing Angels.

With Kindest Regards,

Jill & Joe Smith


PFC Jeremy Smith, 1st Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne (Air Assault) receiving his Purple Heart in July accompanied by his TC, SSG Showers (right). Jill said the ceremony was "very patriotic, moving and there were not too many dry eyes by the end of it. I am so proud of our military and of being an American!!"

No comments: