02 August 2005

In Memory of PFC Gunnar Becker


From left: Jason Smith, Gunnar, Mike Phelan. Thanks to Gunnar's Mom Debey for the photo.


Pfc. Gunnar Becker

Gunnar, I did not know you,
not really, just your picture focused and composed
You were a friend of a friend, a name.
You wouldn't know me, we never even met.

Gunnar, I do not know why your death broke my heart,
maybe it was the light I saw in your eyes.
Your face was young, smiling gently in the setting desert sun,
You could have been my friend, short time ago, sitting next to me in class.

Maybe it was your age Gunnar,
19, just a few months older than me.
I know how many dreams I have yet to see.
You've already done so much more in life than me.

Maybe it was the tears that welled in my eyes.
In your uniform you looked brave and strong,
Death should have simply passed you by,
how could you just be gone?

Probably it is all these things, little pieces at a time.
My broken, unknown heart a testimony to your life.
The sight of your flag draped casket still brings tears to my eyes.
All we have left now are your words, your face, our pride.

Gunnar, I wish you could have known in life, all the people that you touched.
I read once you said that if some people had to die to bring freedom, it was probably worth it.
Gunnar, the red in this flag is for you, and I will work to make your words true.
Gunnar, I miss you, I miss even though I did not know you.

Gunnar, you can rest now soldier,
Your job on earth is through.
In Memory, this is for you.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
~Ronald Reagan


Contributed by Soldiers' Angel Amber.

Update 18Aug05:
Blog from Gunnar's Mom

No comments: